10 Good Reasons to join a Meditation Group
Writing For You Now
Meditation has its many benefits and you would just love to reap some of those benefits. Oh, but it's so hard to get into a meditation routine when you're by yourself. Honestly, you're discouraged because you've got questions, you feel you don't have enough information, or you just wish you had some support. Well, you're not alone!
Ten Good Reasons to Join a Meditation Group:
1. Reinforces your meditation practice: Maybe you didn't feel like doing your meditation practice today because you're too busy, you remind yourself of the benefits, and after you leave your session you're glad you went. The time and energy that you invest into your meditation practice pays back doubly through reinforcement. You're not alone.
2. Able to ask questions: When you are in a group with like-minded people, you are more likely to feel comfortable in asking questions. You don't feel that you might ask an absurd question or someone will laugh at you, chances are that someone else has the same question or experience.
3. Bonding: Relationships are naturally formed by spending time together, and because meditation is such an intimate experience you will develop special relationships. Some of these relationships are likely to become lifetime friendships, and that's one opportunity you don't want to miss out on.
4. Support for maintaining your practice: There may be times when you feel discouraged in your meditation practice and feel you're not making any progress. Joining a meditation group is like joining a support group. No matter what challenges you may encounter in your meditation practice, someone is able to relate personally or know someone who can.
5. Share with others: Here is your chance to share what you have tried, what has worked, and what hasn't worked. You get ideas from others on techniques and how each of you is implementing them, and best of all you can share books and other meditation literature. By sharing, you continue to learn from others and feel connected.
6. Energy exchange: You have the opportunity to experience the positive energy flow amongst your group and feel energized. Scientific evidence has proven that we are all bundles of energy, and you know that two batteries of any size can produce more energy than one.
Learn more with Your Positive Potential: Action Steps for Self Empowerment
7. Positive impact: You have a chance to realize the positive impact your group meditation has on your family, your work, your community. The positive impact goes beyond your physical meditation, the positive impact extends outwards. The positive impact group meditation has to offer is beyond words.
8. Celebrate milestones together: When you find out that your meditation buddy was able to stay awake for his or her last two meditation sessions, you celebrate that milestone, or when you finally reach the 'quiet place within', you celebrate that event. Celebration of milestones is always much more meaningful when celebrated as a group.
9. Lighten up: You learn not to take your meditation practice too serious. If the person next to you falls asleep and starts snoring, you can laugh about it later. There is a time and place for sleeping and snoring, but when it comes to meditation, you learn it's a challenge yet fun to do in a group.
10. Group coherence: On the subtle level, we are all connected and group meditation practice helps strengthen that subtle connection. Not only does it strengthen that connection, it also helps deepen the experience because you are all doing the same thing at the same time.
With these ten reasons as encouragement to join a meditation group, you are encouraged to look around and find a group you feel comfortable in and get out there. Besides, how often do you get a chance to go to a meeting, sit around, close your eyes, and do nothing without getting in trouble?